Estimate Total Cost
POWER8 vs previous generations of Power servers
Summary of the information you provided.
|Servers||# of servers||Key workload||Multiple partitions||Operating System|
You have finished the assessment. Review your results below.
You can expect a
Here are your detailed results:
Over a year period by implementing a POWER8 Solution
Accumulated Cost Comparison (by cost category)
Comparison of POWER8 vs. As Is solution by cost category
|HW Purchase||HW Maintenance||Server Migration||OS Software||Application Software||Electricity||Space||# of Servers||# of cores|
Accumulated Cost Comparison (by year)
Register to see your detailed cost savings results.
Discuss how to take advantage of POWER8 based solutions today. Call 1-866-872-3902 (Code: Power)
Would you like to share your results?
- New POWER8 hardware pricing has a 12% - 18% discount applied for 1 or 2 socket servers and a 21% - 28% discount applied for 4 or more socket servers.*
- All hardware maintenance is 15% of the hardware purchase price.*
- Depending on the server type, initial hardware maintenance will vary from 1 to 3 years.
- Migration of workloads is assumed to cost $10,000 per physical server.
- Operating systems costs represent annual software maintenance only.
- AIX Standard Edition is priced for all small class POWER servers, and AIX Enterprise Edition is priced for all medium and large class POWER servers.
- DB2, Webshere and Cognos are priced per core x Processor Value Unit with an assumed discount of 25% with Subscription and Support starting the 1st year.*
- Oracle DB and Weblogic are priced per core x Processor Core Factor with an assumed discount of 40% with Subscription and Support starting the 1st year.*
- JD Edwards, Infor and SAP solutions for small, medium and large server configurations are assumed to have a discount of 50%.*
- Subscription and Support for ISV workloads is assumed to be 22% of the discounted licensing.*
- Subscription and Support for IBM workloads is assumed to be 20% of the discounted licensing.*
- Electricity cost used is $0.10/kWh for each server's specific energy consumption and heat removal.
- Floor space cost is estimated to be $10,000 per rack.
- Server utilization is based on industry averages.
* Discount rates will vary for actual transactions. The above percentages are used for illustrative purposes only.
For a customized TCO estimate, email IT.Economics@us.ibm.com, and a local IT Economics consultant will contact you.
NOTICE: PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING DISCLAIMER. USING THIS TOOL AND ANY OF THE PROVIDED OUTPUT INDICATES YOUR ACCEPTANCE OF THESE PROVISIONS.
This tool provides a high level view of costs and potential savings using public domain IBM and third party server and pricing information in consolidating from a x86 environment to a IBM Power Systems POWER8 solution. For "Total Cost of Ownership", this tool considers certain factors involved in either a 3 or 5 year total cost of ownership including hardware costs, workload type, IBM and ISV software costs, certain facility costs (space, energy), maintenance charges, server utilization, hypervisors and migration, TCO assumptions are based on data from hundreds of client studies performed by IBM. The data used to generate the results in the tool is current as of July 2016. Results will vary based on the selections you make in using the tool. The output from the tool, including, but not limited to any accompanying summary of potential savings are estimates only and are provided on an 'AS IS" BASIS. Any reliance by you on using the tool and any output is at your sole risk and will not create any liability or obligation for IBM. IN NO EVENT WILL IBM BE LIABLE TO ANY PARTY FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL OR OTHER CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES FOR ANY USE OF THIS TOOL, WEB SITE, OR ON ANY OTHER HYPER LINKED WEB SITE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY LOST PROFITS, BUSINESS INTERRUPTION, LOSS OF PROGRAMS OR OTHER DATA ON YOUR INFORMATION HANDLING SYSTEM OR OTHERWISE, EVEN IF WE ARE EXPRESSLY ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
In addition, here is the approved for use in the US statement we've used in other CPO documents, modified to be applicable to your tool.
This tool is for use in the United States only. Before use outside the United States, the tool should be reviewed with local IBM counsel for compliance with local laws regarding comparative and other claims.
POWER8 Cost Savings Estimator
Do you have questions about the estimator? Please contact:
Priority code: Power